↑ Scroll to top

Philippine death toll from Typhoon Bopha rises

Published: December 5, 2012 | 8:11 am
Text size: -A +A

The death toll from a powerful storm that hit the southern Philippines is continuing to rise, as rescue teams headed for affected areas.


The disaster watchdog said 95 people died when Typhoon Bopha struck Mindanao on Tuesday, but reports citing local officials put the number at over 200.

In Andap village in Compostela Valley province, dozens of people were killed in flash floods that hit two buildings.
Many more died in flooding or collapses in neighbouring Davao Oriental.
Tens of thousands were evacuated ahead of the storm, which is now passing over the western island of Palawan. It is expected to move out into the South China Sea on Thursday.

‘Torrents of water’
In Andap village, in the east of Mindanao island, water and mud rushed down mountainous slopes to engulf a school and a village hall serving as evacuation centres.
At least 43 people were killed, with more reported missing and injured – including soldiers sent to help with evacuations.

“They thought that they were already secure in a safe area, but they didn’t know the torrents of water would go their way,” Compostela Valley Provincial Governor Arturo Uy told local media.

A road into the town was blocked by debris, reports said, but the military said it was hoping to get helicopters into the area to assess the situation.
Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said body bags and other emergency supplies would be rushed to affected areas.

“The bodies are left lying on the ground in the open in New Bataan and we don’t want to risk the spread of disease,” she told Agence-France Presse news agency.

Compostela Valley province was said to be the hardest-hit area. Neighbouring Davao Oriental province was also badly affected, with reports of about 50 people killed.
Davao Oriental Governor Corazon Malanyaon said roads to dozens of towns were impassable because of fallen trees and collapsed bridges, telling local media getting into them was like “running an obstacle course”.
She said initial reports indicated that in one town, Cateel, 95% of buildings had been damaged. Twenty-three people had drowned or were buried under fallen trees or buildings there, she said.
Across the affected provinces, rescuers have also pulled out dozens of people from the mud, many of whom are now being treated in evacuation centres and hospitals. Most suffered facial wounds or limb injuries.
Dozens of domestic flights and ferry services in the central and south of the country were suspended, and schools and businesses were closed while the storm passed.
Bopha comes a year after Typhoon Washi killed more than 1,300 people in the southern Philippines.

The storm struck from 16 to 18 December, devastating the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan on the island’s north coast.

Many of those who died were sleeping as Typhoon Washi caused rivers to burst their banks, leading to landslides. Entire villages were washed away.

BBC

VN:F [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
More posts in category: World News
  • Japan earthquake and tsunami: 478 bodies remain unidentified one year on
  • Italian hostage killed in Nigeria was shot at close range
  • Exclusive: Obama, Cameron discussed tapping oil reserves
  • Sarkozy aims at French firms worth 1 billion euros or more – minister