↑ Scroll to top

Indian arrested in connection with Israel embassy attack

Published: March 7, 2012 | 8:15 am
Text size: -A +A

Police in New Delhi announce the arrest of Mohammed Kazmi, a freelance journalist in his early 50s, for suspected involvement in February 13 attack on Israeli diplomats near embassy in Indian capital.

Indian police announced Wednesday the arrest of an Indian national claiming to work as a freelance journalist in connection with the terrorist attack on Israeli diplomatic personnel in New Delhi last month.

A police official said Mohammed Kazmi, a man in his early 50s, was arrested on Tuesday night “from south Delhi,” Indian news website India Today reported.

“We have almost cracked the case,” the official stated. Police added that Kazmi is the first suspect to be arrested in connection with the attack.

Israel has implicated Iran in the February 13 attack near the Israeli embassy in the Indian capital, where assailants latched a sticky bomb onto an Israeli diplomatic vehicle near the Israeli embassy.

One diplomat’s wife, Tal Yehoshua Koren, and three others were injured when the bomb exploded, burning the car and sending shrapnel flying. The terrorists sped off after the blast on their motorcycle, Indian police have said.

Koren underwent surgery in New Delhi, giving her testimony of the incident to Indian authorities before being flown back to Israel.

Tehran has denied involvement in the plot, saying Israel seeks to use the attack to tarnish further the Islamic Republics image.

India has avoided placing blame on Iran as the investigation continues, despite officials in Israel saying India has considerable evidence that Iran was behind the attack on Israeli diplomats.


VN:F [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
More posts in category: World News
  • Lagarde Urges Larger European Rescue Fund, Recommends Eurobonds
  • Yemen air raids ‘target al-Qaeda militants near Bayda’
  • Yemen to swear in new president Saturday
  • Full power restored after India hit by second huge outage