↑ Scroll to top

Deadly suicide blasts near Nato Afghan base in Wardak

Published: September 1, 2012 | 7:54 am
Text size: -A +A

A twin suicide bombing near a Nato base in central Afghanistan has killed at least nine civilians and four policemen, officials say.

The attack, in Wardak province, destroyed much of a local bazaar, eyewitnesses say.

The first attack was carried out by a militant on foot; then an explosives-laden lorry was detonated.

There are fears of a surge in violence when foreign forces withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014.

The first suicide bomber targeted the local governor’s office in the district of Saidabad, officials say.

A number of shops and houses were destroyed in the truck bomb explosion that followed.

At least 47 people were wounded. No staff from the Nato base were killed, said officials from the US-led force.

“A suicide bomber on foot detonated near the gate of the base in Saidabad, Wardak province, opening the way for a truck suicide bombing that followed him,” provincial spokesman Shahiddullah Shahid told the AFP news agency.

The BBC’s Quentin Somerville in Kabul says that the same military outpost was attacked late last year, killing five Afghans and wounding dozens of American soldiers.

BBC

VN:F [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
More posts in category: World News
  • Sarkozy courts French far right after Hollande win
  • Rebels’ offensive in Syria’s largest city spreads
  • Pakistan Disowns Bounty on Anti-Islam Filmmaker
  • Egypt’s constitutional court to discuss president decree