↑ Scroll to top

Arsenal and AC Milan set to fight over Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

Published: October 19, 2012 | 7:13 am
Text size: -A +A

Wenger said to be ‘huge admirer’ of Montpellier defender and ready to make a move in New Year

WITH the revelation yesterday that Arsenal fans pay the most to watch their team in action, the Gunners need to placate the Emirates faithful and what better way than to sign Montpellier skipper Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa?

According to Talksport, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is a “huge admirer” of the 23-year-old defender and is primed to make a move in the New Year.

But before Arsenal fans begin to think that perhaps paying as much as £126 for the privilege of watching their team isn’t so bad after all, they should heed Talksport’s warning. It claims that AC Milan are gearing up to “battle” Arsenal for Yanga-Mbiwa, with the Italian giants apparently prepared to give Montpellier whatever they want in return for the French international.

Inter’s move comes after they decided not to pursue their interest in Marseille defender Nicolas N’Koulou but instead go after Yanga-Mbiwa. The player is out of contract at the end of the season and it’s believed Montpellier will sell him in January rather than risk seeing him leave on a free in May.

Meanwhile Italy’s Gazzetta della Sport reports that Arsenal are also in competition with another Serie A club. The club in question is Fiorentina and it’s claimed they and the Gunners are both chasing Javier Hernandez. The little Mexican has slipped down the pecking order at Old Trafford since the arrival of Robin van Persie, and it seems he wants to kick-start his career with a January move. Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson seems reluctant to give Hernandez a run these days and it’s believed he could sell if the price is right.

One player not going anywhere is Loic Remy. Chelsea have been courting the 25-year-old frontman for months and it was rumoured the Blues made an offer in August only to be knocked back by Marseille. The French club, currently top of their domestic league, have since suggested they might be open to a deal next year but in an interview with Mercato365.com Remy pooh-poohed the idea. “I will not leave the club this winter,” said the French international.

Liverpool are said to be close to agreeing a new deal with promising teenager Suso. The 18-year-old Spaniard has impressed manager Brendan Rodgers since making his first team debut earlier in the season, and his reward will be a contract extension. “He will sign a new contract later which shows our commitment to him and shows he is very happy here,” Rodgers told goal.com.

Finally, the Daily Mirror reports that Manchester City have denied making an approach for Barcelona’s Sergio Busquets and Cesc Fabregas. Rumours emerged earlier in the week suggesting the Sky Blues were in the hunt for the pair of Spanish aces, but the Mirror conveys a statement from the club in which they say: “There is no basis to these claims and the club has neither made nor is it planning to make an offer for these players.”

theweek

VN:F [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
More posts in category: Latest News
  • 2013 McLaren MP4-12C First Test
  • Christian Bale visits shooting victims in Aurora as families honor lost loved ones
  • Oil stems losses as Iran rhetoric heats up
  • Liverpool still our rivals, says Scholes